We offer a specialist Professional Regulatory service to veterinary surgeons and registered veterinary nurses regulated by the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons (RCVS).
The RCVS is the regulatory body responsible for registering veterinary surgeons and registered veterinary nurses in the UK. In order to work as a veterinary surgeon or to use the title veterinary nurse in the UK, it is essential to be registered with the RCVS.
The RCVS has the power to take action by removing or restricting a veterinary surgeon’s registration if they fall seriously short of the high standards expected.
The investigation process
1. Claims are first assessed by a case examiner to see if there may be a case to answer. If so, they refer the case to the Preliminary Investigation Committee.
2. The Investigation Committee may then refer the case to the Disciplinary Committee where the alleged conduct involves:
Serious departure from professional standards as set out in the RCVS Guide to Professional Conduct
- Causing serious harm or risk of serious harm to animals or the public
- Offences of a sexual nature
- Offences involving violence and/or loss of human life
- Evidence of a harmful deep-seated personality or attitude problem
- Dishonesty (including false certification), particularly where persistent or concealed
3. At a Disciplinary Committee hearing the Committee may strike a veterinary surgeon or registered veterinary nurse from the register or suspend them.
How we can help
There is comprehensive information in our Employment pages on the support we can offer veterinary surgeons or veterinary nurses for any workplace situation, including:
- RCVS Disciplinary Committee hearings
- Harassment and bullying
- Internal disciplinary investigations & hearings
- Disclosure & Barring Service representations
- Investigation by the RCVS
- High Court Injunctions
- Employment tribunal litigation
- High Court Judicial Reviews
- Judicial Committee of the Privy Council appeals of RCVS decisions
If you have been suspended or are under investigation, please contact us as a matter of urgency. It is much better to get advice at this stage, rather than risking the potential consequences for your career if the matter goes further. Anything that calls into question your suitability to remain on the RCVS register can have far-reaching consequences.
As a member of a regulated profession, we are fully aware that any investigation or disciplinary process is very stressful, as it will usually go to the heart of your professional practice.
We can support you throughout this process, with pragmatic, considered advice. Should the RCVS Disciplinary Committee decision go against you, you may be able to appeal any sanctions to the Privy Council. We can advise you on the likelihood of success at appeal and can represent you robustly in proceedings in the High Court or Court of Session.
We can also advise you throughout the process of applying for restoration to the register after you have been removed from it.
Professional Regulatory Contact
For more information on our Professional Regulatory services, please contact Riz Majid – Head of Employment – +44 (0) 20 7429 3906