We offer a specialist Professional Regulatory service to Social Workers in Wales, who are regulated by the Care Council of Wales (Care Council).
The Care Council is the regulatory body responsible for registering social workers in Wales; it is illegal to work as a social worker in Wales without being on the Care Council Register. As part of their duty to protect the public, the Care Council has the power to take action by either removing or restricting a professional’s registration if they fall seriously short of the high standards expected.
The Care Council considers allegations of impairment of fitness to practise on grounds including misconduct, lack of competence and ill health.
The investigation process
1. An investigating officer makes an initial assessment of the allegation and presents it to the Preliminary Proceedings Committee.
2. Preliminary Proceedings Committee panels consider the allegation and decide whether there is a ‘case to answer’. It then refers the case to either a panel of the Conduct Committee (CC) in cases about misconduct, lack of competence, convictions, determinations by other regulators and decisions to bar a professional; or to a panel of the Health Committee for reasons of ill health.
3. The Conduct and Health Committees can issue a warning, a suspension order of up to two years or can remove the person from the register completely. It may also decide that no action is required.
At any stage, you may be subject to an interim suspension order of up to six months while the relevant Committee considers your case.
How we can help
There is comprehensive information in our Employment pages on the support we can offer for any workplace situation, including:
- Drafting grievances
- Harassment and bullying
- Internal disciplinary investigations & hearings
- Employment tribunal litigation
- Disclosure & Barring Service representations
- Investigation by the Care Council
- High Court Injunctions
- Care Council Fitness to Practise Hearings
- High Court Judicial Reviews
- Care Council interim orders
If you have been suspended or are under investigation, please contact us as a matter of urgency. It is much better to get advice at this stage, rather than risking the potential consequences for your career if the matter goes further. Anything that calls into question your suitability to remain on the Care Council register can have far-reaching consequences.
As a member of a regulated profession, we are fully aware that any investigation or disciplinary process is very stressful, as it will usually go to the heart of your professional practice.
We can support you throughout this process, with pragmatic, considered advice. Should the Conduct Committee decision go against you, you may be able to appeal to the Care Standards Tribunal. We can advise you on the likelihood of success at appeal and can represent you robustly in proceedings in the High Court or Court of Session.
Professional Regulatory Contact
For more information on our Professional Regulatory services, please contact Riz Majid – Head of Employment – +44 (0) 20 7429 3906