We offer a specialist Professional Regulatory service to osteopaths regulated by the General Osteopathic Council (GOsC).
The GOsC is the regulatory body responsible for the registration and training osteopaths in the UK; it is illegal to work as an osteopath without being registered by the GOsC. As part of their duty to protect the public, the GOsC have the power to take action by either removing or restricting a professional’s registration if they fall seriously short of the high standards expected.
The GOsC considers allegations of impairment of fitness to practise on grounds including misconduct, lack of competence and ill health.
The investigation process
1. If an allegation is made to the GOsC, it will first be assessed by a triage team, which collects evidence and passes the case to an Investigating Committee panel.
2. The Investigating Committee will consider the allegation and then may decide that more information is needed or may close the case with no further action taken. If it decides that there is a ‘case to answer’ it will refer the case to a panel of the Professional Conduct Committee (PCC) in cases about misconduct, lack of competence, convictions, determinations by other regulators and decisions to bar a professional. In cases about ill health, it will refer the case to a panel of the Health Committee (HC)
3. The Health Committee can impose a conditions of practice order or suspend the osteopath’s registration
4. The Professional Conduct Committee can impose a conditions of practice order, suspension, an admonishment or remove the osteopath from the register. The Committee will also consider applications for restoration to the register.
At any stage, you may be subject to an interim suspension order while the appropriate committee considers your case. In addition, the Council for Healthcare Regulatory Excellence has the power to appeal any decision of a Fitness to Practise panel on the grounds that it is ‘unduly lenient’.
How we can help
There is comprehensive information in our Employment pages on the support we can offer for any workplace situation, including:
- Drafting grievances
- Harassment and bullying
- Internal disciplinary investigations & hearings
- Employment tribunal litigation
- Disclosure & Barring Service representations
- Investigation by the GOsC
- High Court Injunctions
- GOsC Fitness to Practise Hearings
- High Court Judicial Reviews
- GOsC Interim Orders Panel Hearings
If you have been suspended or are under investigation, please contact us as a matter of urgency. It is much better to get advice at this stage, rather than risking the potential consequences for your career if the matter goes further. Anything that calls into question your suitability to remain on the GOsC register can have far-reaching consequences.
As a member of a regulated profession, we are fully aware that any investigation or disciplinary process is very stressful, as it will usually go to the heart of your professional practice.
We can support you throughout this process, with pragmatic, considered advice. Should a Professional Conduct Committee decision go against you, you may be able to appeal any sanctions. We can advise you on the likelihood of success at appeal and can represent you robustly in proceedings in the High Court or Court of Session.
Professional Regulatory Contact
For more information on our Professional Regulatory services, please contact Riz Majid – Head of Employment – +44 (0) 20 7429 3906