We offer a specialist Professional Regulatory service to Doctors regulated by the General Medical Council (GMC).
The General Medical Council (GDC) regulates doctors in the UK. It sets the standards of Good Medical Practice it expects of doctors; assures the quality of medical education in the UK; administers the registration and licensing of doctors to practise in the UK; and makes decisions on a doctor’s fitness to practise.
The GMC will investigate allegations that a doctor’s fitness to practise is impaired due to:
- deficient performance
- a criminal conviction or caution in the British Isles (or elsewhere for an offence which would be a criminal offence if committed in England or Wales)
- physical or mental ill-health
- a determination (decision) by a regulatory body either in the British Isles or overseas.
The GMC can issue warnings or can suspend or remove a doctor from the medical register and can also refer the matter to the Interim Orders Panel to issue a temporary suspension from the Register at any point.
The investigation process
1. If an allegation is made to the GMC, a medical and non-medical case examiner first investigate. If they fail to agree, they will refer the matter to the Investigation Committee.
2. The Investigation Committee considers the matter and may take no further action, issue a warning, or refer the matter to a Fitness to Practise Panel.
3. At the end of the Fitness to Practise hearing, the panel may then:
- take no further action
- issue a warning
- put conditions on the doctor's registration
- suspend the doctor's name from the medical register for a period of time
- remove the doctor's name from the medical register for a minimum of five years
The Council for Healthcare Regulatory Excellence has the power to appeal any decision of the Fitness to Practise panel on the grounds that it is ‘unduly lenient’.
How we can help
There is comprehensive information in our Employment pages on the support we can offer for any workplace situation, including:
- Drafting grievances
- Harassment and bullying
- GMC Appeal Tribunal Hearings
- Internal disciplinary investigations & hearings
- Employment tribunal litigation
- Disclosure & Barring Service representations
- Investigation by the GMC
- High Court Injunctions
- GMC Fitness to Practise Hearings
- High Court Judicial Reviews
- GMC Interim Orders Panel Hearings
If you have been suspended or are under investigation, please contact us as a matter of urgency. It is much better to get advice at this stage, rather than risking the potential consequences for your career if the matter goes further. Anything that calls into question your suitability to remain on the GMC Register can have far-reaching consequences.
As a member of a regulated profession, we are fully aware that any investigation or disciplinary process is very stressful, as it will usually go to the heart of your professional practice.
We can support you throughout this process, with pragmatic, considered advice. Should a Fitness to Practise panel decision go against you, we can advise you on the likelihood of success at appeal and can represent you robustly in proceedings in the High Court or Court of Session.
Professional Regulatory Contact
For more information on our Professional Regulatory services, please contact Riz Majid – Head of Employment – +44 (0) 20 7429 3906